Sustainability in the Fashion Industry
As the apparel industry is considered to be one of the most polluting industries in the world then the issue of sustainability has became a trending topic. In order to make a difference for the benefit of all, we should know what can be done to reduce the impact of clothing. Click here to read it in Estonian.
Sustainable fashion is made with extra care to protect the environment (nature, people, animals and health). The certified organic textile product is produced and processed according to organic standards and has been controlled for social and environmental responsibility.
- Organic textile products do not contain harmful chemical (allergenic, carcinogenic, toxic) residues that can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin and may cause allergies, skin rashes or respiratory problems
- Organic fibers are grown without the use of harmful pesticides or genetically modified organisms to save farms and environment
- Organic textile factories have higher social conditions: safer/healthier working conditions, better treatment and salaries.
- Keeping an eye on animal welfare (animals growing fibers)
- Additional investments made by farmers to protect the environment, maintaining soil fertility, preserving biodiversity, conserving water etc.
OTHER MORE SUSTAINABLE FABRICS
- Organic materials: organic cotton, organic silk, organic wool, organic linen.
- Wild silk (raw/peace silk/tussah) is biodegradable. It´s is cruelty free silk as the cocoons are gathered after the moth emerges.
- Recycled materials: recycled polyester, recycled wool etc.
- Other materials:
- Hemp is ecologically sound, renewable and needs little water. Still may need little or no chemicals.
- Bamboo is renewable. There are some concerns over the chemicals used in its processing, however less pesticides and fertilizers are used, and it is still a sustainable choice compared to most other fabrics.
- Lyocell aka Tencel (a form of rayon which consists of cellulose fiber made from dissolving pulp (bleached wood pulp) using dry jet-wet spinning.
KiRiVOO APPAREL IS MADE OF THE FOLLOWING FABRICS
- 100% organic cotton and 93% organic cotton + 7% polyester blend
- 100% bamboo viscose and 93% bamboo viscose + 7% elastane and 93% viscose + 7% elastane
- 100% organic Mulberry silk and 95% organic silk + 5% elastane
- 55% hemp, 45% organic cotton and 53% hemp+ 42% organic cotton + 5% elastane